mod-php4

Hi!

I've gleaned from the archives that mod-php4 was pulled because it was
broken, and that a new maintainer has taken over apache + modules.

Is there any use in hoping that mod-php4 will be added soon?  I need it
for a SquirrelMail setup I've been asked to provide on Windows... :-/

I've had a shot at building php4 myself, but failed miserably:

bash-2.05b$ make install
Installing PHP SAPI module:       apache
apxs:Error: file libs/libphp4.so is not a DSO
make: *** [install-sapi] Error 1

The only files on libs are libphp4.a (8MB) and libphp4.la (700 bytes).

I've searched for help on this, but the similar reports are either very
old, very clueless, very cryptic or very complex.  I definitely would
feel much more comfortable with a packaged setup of PHP.

That being said, any pointers to alternatives to SquirrelMail
(preferrably lighter-weight, and for an IMAP backend) would be welcome...

Cheers, Rob