Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 02:49:09PM -0700, Kate Ebneter wrote:
>On Aug 28, 2004, at 10:49 PM, David Chatterton wrote:
>>There was some discussion back in April regarding problems with loaded
>>hyperthreaded machines including thread activation errors and other
>>strange problems.
>>
>>Were these problems identified and resolved, or are they still
>>outstanding?
>
>We had serious problems using GNU Make out of cygwin that we were only
>able to resolve by turning off hyperthreading on the relevant machines.
>I've tried various newer cygwins with no success, so AFAIK, at least,
>it's still a problem.

Ok.

I again ask for no more "me too's".

No one is going to provoke an "AH HA!" moment by relating their
experiences with tinkering with hyperthreading, processor affinity, or
rsync.  There is also no reason to relate your inability to send a
system out which demonstrates the problem or to bemoan the fact that you
can't tell anyone precisely how to duplicate the problem.

If you want to actually DEBUG the problem (and by debug, I don't mean
talk about how somebody else is working really hard but is unable to
debug the problem) then more power (and a gold star) to you.

Otherwise, please don't send us all your tales of hyperthreading woe.

cgf