Re: Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

Chuck,

We have a build environment for a reasonably large piece of code
that several people could be building at the same time. On a dual
800MHz P3 and even a quad 550MHz box we had no problems, but upgrading
to a dual 1.8GHz AMD box improved build times dramatically but
the vast majority of builds fail with:

- Microsoft's compiler reporting missing source file. I suspect
  the environment and/or current working directory is not
  setup correctly everytime a prcess is created. Rerun make and
  it works. Very strange.

- Thread activation errors which kill the build and the running
  shell.

rsync is also unreliable as it regularly hangs, but its unclear if
that is related.

I will also investigate providing a box, but that might be the
easy part. Providing a test case that does not rely on our code
base might be more of a challenge.

David

Chuck McDevitt wrote:

Here at the company I work for, we have one of our developers spending half his time trying to track down this problem, but so far with no luck.
He did find that forcing processor affinity helps avoid the problem, but that's not much of a solution.

I keep trying to convince management to send a hyperthreaded machine that shows the problem to Christopher or Corinna, but they keep nixing the idea (I don't understand why).