RE: configure-script failure

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Peter Ekberg wrote:

> Igor wrote:

> > > Help, it appeared again... =)
> > >
> > > Well here is more info:
> > >
> > > No config.log appears to be generated (or there is previous log, not even
> > > erased), error produced is:
> > >
> > > $ ./configure --disable-gtk-doc --prefix=/target --disable-static
> > > configure: error: invalid feature name: static
> > >
> > > Error seems to change according to last parameter, but not always. Sometimes I
> > > get error regarding "gtk-doc".
> > >
> > > It does appear often, but "randomly". I haven't noticed difference
> > > between several configure scripts run. Observation shows that it might
> > > something to do that configure script is fetched from HD instead of
> > > memory cache..
> >
> > "configure -v"?  "bash -x configure"?  Come on, man, do some
> > *debugging*!
> > 	Igor
>
> Attached is the output of a bash -x run of my testcase, available here:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg01025.html

Quoting the relevant part of the attached "bashlog":

+ ac_package=extra-includes
+ expr xextra-includes : '.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]'
+ echo 'configure: error: invalid package name: extra-includes'
configure: error: invalid package name: extra-includes
+ exit 1

> Looks like a bug to me as "extra-includes" is alphanumeric, which I
> believe is what is being tested.

Yes, it does seem wrong.  Now the question is whether bash is getting the
wrong return code from expr, or whether the && doesn't work properly, or
whether there's some other problem here.  Can you reproduce this under
strace?  I don't suggest that you send the raw strace output to the list,
but examining it might be helpful in tracking this down.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw