Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:42:51AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>Here at the company I work for, we have one of our developers spending
>half his time trying to track down this problem, but so far with no luck.
>He did find that forcing processor affinity helps avoid the problem, but
>that's not much of a solution.

No, but that's certainly in keeping with the tone of the problem.

>I keep trying to convince management to send a hyperthreaded machine that
>shows the problem to Christopher or Corinna, but they keep nixing the idea
>(I don't understand why).

I don't think either Corinna or I want another system, but if anyone is
considering sending a hyperthreaded system, it should probably go to me
and not Corinna since this is likely to be in code which I am
responsible for.

Hmm.  Usually, in cases like this, by this time Pierre has stepped in
and pointed in the general direction of where the problem lies.  I
wonder if his recent patch to fork in cygwin-patches shows where at
least one problem lies here.

Btw, I can confirm that this specific problem does *not* show up on
Windows 3.11, fwiw.

cgf