Re: cygrunsrv xinetd problem

> > Well, still doesn't work. That's what I did:
> > First, I checked normal windows permissions - SYSTEM has all rights
> > to c:\cygwin dir and subdirs, inherited from permissions to whole drive.
> > Next, I checked 'linux' permissions displayed by 'ls -al', and changed
> > them to 755, since user 'Marcin' owns both files.
>
> Did you also check the permissions on all the programs that xinetd tries
> to invoke (e.g., /usr/sbin/ftpd.exe, if you enabled ftp)?

OK, I've changed many things since yesterday, so I'll write what I've done:
First of all, I removed cygwin completely from the disk and the registry,
and reinstalled it as Administrator (previously I installed it as user
Marcin).
Next, I made passwd and group files, and changed all dirs/subdirs/files to
be owned by Adminitrator, group Users.
Then I tried to run sshd service, so firstly (as Administrator) I run
$ ssh-host-config
and typed some yes'es. Then, I type:
$ cygrunsrv -S sshd
and guess what - error 1062. After some tries, I looked at
/var/log/sshd.log,
and found:
  Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
  Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
  Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
  Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
  Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
  sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.
So, I chmod'ed those files to 755 and everything went good from this point.
Then, I tried running:
$ cygrunsrv -S xinetd
but, the same story, error 1062. So, as you suggested, i made:
$ chmod a+rx *
in directories /bin and /usr/sbin. That didn't help, but now when I look at
/var/log/xinetd.log, I don't see nothing, but a couple of lines:
  xinetd: msg_init failed: can't open log file
I can't see a problem with this from this point, here's the listing of
/var/log:
total 1477
drwxrwx---+   4 Administ Users           0 Aug 30 12:02 .
drwxr-xr-x+  13 Administ Users           0 Aug 30 10:53 ..
drwxrwx---+   2 Administ Users           0 Aug 30 00:01 apache
drwxrwx---+   2 Administ Users           0 Aug 30 00:07 exim
-rw-r--r--    1 Marcin   None            0 Aug 30 12:02 ls.log
-rwxr-x---+   1 Administ Users      103442 Aug 30 10:41 setup.log
-rwxr-x---+   1 Administ Users     1400010 Aug 30 10:41 setup.log.full
-rw-r--r--    1 SYSTEM   root         2328 Aug 30 11:11 sshd.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Administ Users        2156 Aug 30 11:15 wtmp
-rw-r--r--    1 SYSTEM   root          225 Aug 30 12:01 xinetd.log

> Try opening a SYSTEM-owned shell (see the recent thread,
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg01132.html>), and run xinetd
> directly from the command line in that shell.  If it runs there, compare
> the environment settings for the service with the environment settings in
> that shell.  If it doesn't run there, the errors you get should be helpful
> in diagnosing the problem and experimenting.

Well, looks like xinetd runs well when running as SYSTEM directly, under
SYSTEM owned shell. No errors, and I was even able to login using telnet
service. So, I guess the problem is not here.

Marcin Lewandowski
http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~lewandow