Re: cygrunsrv xinetd problem

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Marcin Lewandowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to cygwin, and at the beginning I have a problem
> running xinetd service.

Again, the advice below is very generic, and has to do with services in
general, not xinetd in particular.

First off, see (and follow) the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, particularly the part about providing
the output of "cygcheck -svr" as an uncompressed text *attachment*.

> When I execute the following:
> $ cygrunsrv -S xinetd
> i get:
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error 1062
> Usluga nie zostala uruchomiona.

$ net helpmsg 1062
The service has not been started.

> the same when running
> $ net start xinetd
> System error 1067 has occured.

$ net helpmsg 1067
The process terminated unexpectedly.

The weird part is that "net start" and "cygrunsrv -S" give different
errors, but maybe that's expected.  What does the Windows Event Log show?

> When I run xinetd manually, it starts normally, but since I run it as a
> normal user,

Bingo.  Here's a guess (pending the output of "cygcheck -svr"): you
installed Cygwin for "Just Me" instead of "All Users".  Therefore, the
SYSTEM user doesn't see your mounts, and can't find the files.  Re-mount
all your mounts as system mounts (Google for "cygwin remount system" for a
recipe) and try starting your service again.

> it hasn't got enough privileges and I get setuid error when trying to
> telnet onto the server.
> /var/log/xinetd.log contains nothing.

As said above, look in the Event Log, but I suspect that remounting your
mounts as system mounts will do the trick.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw