Re: understanding effects of moving addons from site_perl to vendor_perl

linda w wrote:
It's been a few weeks since I've used perl on my Win machine, but
noticed an error message about inability to find Win32.pm in my path
just for starting up perl.

It turned out in my env, I had one of the lib dirs set to
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8
and had it autoloading (not quite sure why at this point) the Win32.pm
module with "PERL5OPT=-MWin32".

Looking for Win32.pm, I find 3 copies and a 4th name-related copy:

/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/MM_Win32.pm
/lib/perl5/5.8.5/File/Spec/Win32.pm
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8/URI/file/Win32.pm

These are entirely unrelated modules which just happen to contain Win32 in their name.

/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/Win32.pm

This is the Win32 module.

Assuming I wanted to have the same autoload procedure in effect working,
what directory should be included?

/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/

One problem I see on my system seems to be that the perl distro's INC
path doesn't seem to include the 5.8.2 version files:

Can't locate Win32.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/cygwin-thread
-multi-64int /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-m
ulti-64int /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl
5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /
usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Interesting. My FC2 linux boxes include all paths back to 5.8.0 My SuSE 9.1 box only includes a single versioned path.

I don't know enough about perl internals to say why this is.

Shouldn't the perl library and perl interpreter be at the same version?

Win32 is a seperate package (perl-libwin32).

Is this a mistake or is the library "behind" the interpreter?  I didn't
choose "experimental" releases, so I would have expected stuff in the main
line to work together, is this just happenstance?

It's essentially a lack of planning/coordination between the perl and perl-libwin32 maintainers.

Max.