RE: UW-IMAPD woes and LOTS of related questions about xinetd

For the xinetd question (how does it know what port?), it uses the "imap"
string (e.g. "service imap") to look up in /etc/services to discover the
port to bind with.  Read the link provided by Igor for a more thorough
explanation.

Also, check that you've restarted your service after adding the entry/file
to configure xinetd for imap.  Once you have restarted, use the "netstat -n"
command to check that something is listening on the imap port.  If nothing
shows up for 143, take a look at your Windows Event Log.

If you want to configure some more advanced things (anything in
particular?), you'll need to download the source and mess with makefiles.
For your purpose however (a personal imap server), I don't think you'd need
to configure it any more than it already has been.  I have it set up to do
the same thing and it works great.  If you find that you need to configure
it, the UW c-client mailing list is a good starting point for non-cygwin
questions about UW-IMAP.  Take a look at the link that Igor sent for
information about the list.

For HTTP access to your imap server, I've heard of people using
squirrelmail.

-Abe