Re: UW-IMAPD woes and LOTS of related questions about xinetd

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, overbored wrote:

I had posted this earlier as a sub-question, but I guess not a lot of
people saw it....

I don't know much about xinetd and imapd beyond the general basics, but let me take a shot at answering. See below.

[snip]

Aside #1: how does this know what port to work with? I know what the default
imap port is (143), but how does xinetd know?

See <http://google.com/search?q=man+%2Fetc%2Fservices>, or "man 4 services" on your favorite Linux machine.

Aside #2: there are a lot of other services under xinetd.d. Does that
mean these are all currently enabled? For instance, ftpd is there...so
someone could be FTPing into my box right now? (In fact, just now I ran
'nc localhost 21' and it works...gulp...!)

Apparently yes.

Aside #3: if ssh were also under xinetd.d (it's not currently), wouldn't that
conflict with the ssh service that I already set up as a Service (as
instructed at http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.html)?

Yes, it would, if both xinetd and sshd services were started at the same time. The one started later will not be able to bind to the sshd port.

Back to main question: I managed to get init and xinetd working (at least I
can see their processes in taskmgr). However, when I try to connect to
localhost (no SSL) using Thunderbird, it says that the connection was refused,
without giving me a chance to login. I also tried 'nc localhost 143', but got
a connection refused (basically the same thing I see as running 'nc localhost
<random number>'). I've done a ton of searching to get where I am, but now I'm
at a dead end. Any ideas?

Did you add imapd to /etc/services?

Does this have anything to do with the old "add 'Everyone' to passwd"
hack? (A more recent post warned us NOT to add this to passwd.)

Doubtful.

Another thing...how easy is it to configure UW-IMAP? From what I've
read, it seems that *everything* is configured in the source or Makefile
(no conf files, etc.). /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/uw-imap-2002e.README says
the author modified it from what's on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uw-imap-cygwin/, so what exactly should
I be modifying? The canonical homepage just points to the original
UW-IMAP site. I looked for but didn't find any personal website of
Abraham Backus.

Isn't there a UW-IMAP mailing list? The above question doesn't seem to have anything to do with Cygwin.

(What I'm ultimately trying to do is have all my downloaded (via POP)
mail stored on my computer and accessible via IMAP, so that I can access
it using a variety of mail clients - GUI (Thunderbird), CLI (mutt), and
HTTP (don't know what to try).)

That's the usual reason for using an IMAP server. This doesn't make the above question any more Cygwin-related.

Please let me know if any further info is needed (I've included cygcheck
-srv below). Thanks in advance!

HTH, Igor P.S. It's usually a bad idea to have spaces in your Cygwin username. -- http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/ |\ _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D. '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw