Re: Problem with cygwin with KDE3.1.4

Please do not send personal e-mail with Cygwin or Cygwin/X questions
unless specifically requested.  Please address all Cygwin-related
questions to the main Cygwin mailing list at <cygwin at cygwin dot com>.
Please address all Cygwin/X-related questions to the Cygwin/X mailing list
at <cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com>.  Not only will that give you access
to more expertise than any one person can provide, but your questions and
the answers to them will be archived on the web for others to find.

In the future, if you do ask questions on the main Cygwin list, please
read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> before posting, particularly the bit
about reporting the state of your system by attaching the output of
"cygcheck -svr".  The guidelines are also a good read for the cygwin-xfree
list.

For your convenience, I'm setting the Reply-To: field of this message to
the (IMO) appropriate list.  Please make sure your mailer respects it.

More below.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, muthu kumar wrote:

> Dear Igor,
>
> This is Muthu kumar, from India. I`m an Electronics and communication
> engineering student I wanted to learn Linux so I installed Redhat Linux
> 7 and due to some mistakes that I commited during installation my
> hardisk got repartitioned ,So I had to reinstall Win98/XP then, I
> installed the latest version of Cygwin from cygwin site with all the
> packages selected from the nearest mirror directly.. and the
> installation went on smoothly and bash login prompted as mentioned in
> the docs.  Then I wanted to install KDE 3.1.4 so I downloaded all the
> packages (ALL packages incl. cygwin base.,KDE2, XR11--,apache..total
> around > 680MB) from http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/install and
> installed the same, after installation...as per the docs.there I issued
> the command " rebaseall -v " and then "startx &" the screen with a grey
> shade and "X" cursor showed up then the cursor changed to mouse_arrow
> with blue screen... immediately it poped up an error..
>
> Unable to locate "cygcygipc-2.dll"
>
> and this window nearly poped thrice.with same error..
> I really dont know what to do, since this is my first cygwin installation..
> I would be very happy if you could render your help in this regard.

Your question is not even about Cygwin, it's about KDE/Cygwin.  If what I
say below doesn't help, you should really ask for help on the kde-cygwin
list, if there is one.

If you need to find out which Cygwin package contains a particular file or
program, the one place you need to look is the Cygwin package search page
at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.  In particular, the search for
"cygcygipc-2.dll" turns up the "cygipc-2.03-2" package -- make sure you
have that installed.  Another guess is that "c:\cygwin\bin" (or whatever
/bin translates to in your Cygwin installation) is not in the PATH --
Windows uses the PATH value to find DLLs.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw