[BUG] Bad File Descriptor while trying to set up postgresql

At first, this stopped me entirely from initializing postgres; however, today the initdb & createdb succeeded -- I don't know what changed. In any case, references to the database directory during the initdb incur a Bad File Descriptor complaint when trying to set permissions.

The partition where the database lives is FAT32 -- it needs to be because it is also visible from my Linux dual-boot. I know permissions on a FAT32 volume are, at best, faked. But IMHO it shouldn't incur this sort of error.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

Running in debug mode.

initdb: internal variables:
  PGDATA=/var/database/pgsql
  datadir=/usr/share/postgresql
  PGPATH=/usr/bin
  ENCODING=UTF-8
  ENCODINGID=6
  POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME=postgres
  POSTGRES_BKI=/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.bki
  POSTGRES_DESCR=/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.description
  POSTGRESQL_CONF_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
  PG_HBA_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.sample
  PG_IDENT_SAMPLE=/usr/share/postgresql/pg_ident.conf.sample
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/database/pgsql... chmod: changing permissions of `/var/database/pgsql': Bad file descriptor

initdb: failed
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    2 postgres None            0 Aug  5 11:27 Debian_Packages
drwxr-xr-x    5 postgres None            0 Aug 25 13:25 Marathon
drwxr-xr-x    3 postgres None            0 Aug 25 11:22 Zeos
drwxr-xr-x    2 postgres None            0 Aug 25 22:24 pgsql
begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard