Re: [BUG] Interaction problems -- strace of failure case

I got the attached strace on a failure instance. As an added datapoint, I got a freeze when all that came before was
BOOT/LOGIN; CMD.EXE rename a couple of files, exit; CYGWIN-CONSOLE freeze!

My console launches thus: run.exe (from Chuck) -> rxvt -e bash
The rxvt console comes up, the menubar shows 'bash' but the bash initializations never complete.

I also have an strace of a success case (fresh boot) but it's much bigger (300000 in bz2) so I won't send it to the list.
Perhaps I could upload it somewhere where only those who can make constructive use of it need to retrieve it?

David A. Cobb wrote:

I'm seeing this behavior consistently.

If I run my browser ( or, possibly, some other network application )
before trying to launch my Cygwin console, the login shell freezes the
machine so totally my only recourse is to press the reset (panic!)
button.  So far, it hasn't messed up the filesystem.

Attempting to narrow down the causes, I first ran ProcessExplorer from
SysInternals.  When my session is fresh and things are working, my
console runs bash and bash runs a couple of very quick processes
including hostname before things settle down and the prompt appears.

If, however, I have spent time in the browser, the first thing that
happens is that ProcessExplorer gets shot between the eyes!  Without
much explanation, I get the "procexp.exe has experienced a problem and
needs to close, sorry!" box.  I checked the event log and only found an
"Application Error at address ..." -- which sounds to me like his memory
got stepped on.
This one is the reason I'm cc'ing this to SysInternals, just in case
ProcessExplorer is doing something that makes it uncommonly vulnerable.
BTW, this also happens pretty consistently whenever I'm running
something like a configure/make where deeply nested process trees are
being generated at a rapid pace.

Back to the primary problem.  At that point, the console prompt never
comes up.  The cpu usage is very low ( ~10% ), but the GUI is completely
locked up.  Nothing is able to get the attention of the system,
including the three-finger-salute.

Just once, I was able to interfere enough (or wait long enough ) that I
got this:
26880400 [main] bash 3484 sync_with_child: WaitForMultipleObjects timed
out . . .
Fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable
Wait: Subprocess_wait failed.

My first thought was that the prior network use somehow prevents
hostname from succeeding.  It's hard to understand, but consistent with
everything except shooting ProcessExplorer.

A second thought involves known weaknesses in the Windows GUI; but I
doubt Cygwin is using that.  This involves places where the system
dell's such as User32.dll have their own little event-loop.

MY CYGCHECK OUTPUT exceeds my mail host's size limit (5Mb) and the zipped version is refused by your server. Anyway, I'm up-to-date as of 2004-08-12.

-- David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate "By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr. Life is too short to tolerate crappy software!

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard