Re: convert .lib to .a

At 01:31 AM 8/27/2004, you wrote:
>Yu-Cheng Chou wrote:
>
>>Hi, Larry:
>>I have two c-callable static libs which are created by vc, but the source codes are not available.
>>I need these libs to create a shared library using gcc under cygwin.
>>Command line:
>>gcc -shared -o libmpi.dl mpi_chdl.o ../../src/lib/libmpi.a ../../src/lib/liblam.a ../../src/lib/chsd
>>k.lib ../../src/lib/ch.lib
>>Error message:
>>Warning: .drectve '/DEFAULTLIB:"MSVCRT" /DEFAULTLIB:"OLDNAMES" /EXPORT:___b
>>uiltin_Ch_VaArg ' unrecognized
>>Cannot export .idata$4: symbol not found
>>Cannot export .idata$5: symbol not found
>>Cannot export .idata$6: symbol not found
>>Cannot export .text: symbol not found
>>Cannot export ⌂ch_NULL_THUNK_DATA: symbol not found
>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>make: *** [libmpi.dl] Error 1
>>Have any idea to fix this problem?
>
>AFAIK, you can't do that in that way.
>
>First, you have to build shared library (DLL in terms of Windoze), with VC. Then you can export API calls to .def and create .a from there on. Well of course you can generate .def from VC compilation and then generate .a lib. But this applies only to shared libs.

You can do this too with gcc if you extract the objects from the lib.
Since Yu-Cheng mentioned that the source for these libs isn't available,
there's not an obvious advantage to converting the static lib to a DLL
with VC, unless it's available and one is more comfortable with
it than gcc.  YMMV. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746