Re: xinetd Permissions; IMAP server

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, overbored wrote:

> Hi all, I have newbie questions on two subjects:
>
> 1. xinetd
>
> I can't remove the file /var/lock/subsys/xinetd, either via 'rm
> /var/lock/subsys/xinetd', the init.d/xinetd script, or Windows Explorer. The
> permissions on it say that it's writable by SYSTEM only (not Admins). Am I
> screwed?

Not really.  "man chown".

> (I didn't create this file; the xinetd script must have done that, since it's
> launched by init, a service that is assigned SYSTEM permissions by default.)

Or you could try to get a SYSTEM-owned shell, and remove it from there.
FWIW, I have a handy shortcut for that (see below).

> Oddly enough, even though stop() fails, start() seems to be fine...
>
> $ /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
> Stopping xinetd:                                           [FAILED]
> rm: cannot unlink `/var/lock/subsys/xinetd': Permission denied

This seems like a bug in the xinetd rc script.  It should have anticipated
the ownership of the file, and done a "chown" before attempting to remove
it.

> Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
> touch: creating `/var/lock/subsys/xinetd': Permission denied

Ditto, although this doesn't seem to figure in whether the start
succeeded.  This is less important, though, as it's dependent on the above
bug.

> However, I don't see a process called 'xinetd' in taskmgr. Anyway...what
> should I do now?

Two possibilities: either xinetd is not running, and the above is simply
the result of the file permissions, or xinetd is invoked via some other
program.  The invocation looks like "daemon xinetd", and I couldn't find
out what the daemon command did -- perhaps the maintainer of xinetd could
shed some light on it.

> ---
> 2. uw-imapd

Disclaimer: I haven't used IMAP -- all the info below is generic.

> My goal is to get an IMAP server running, and it seems my only option today is
> uw-imapd. The cygwin package for that is installed, and I created an 'imap'
> file under xinetd.d with the following:
>
> # default: off
> #              an IMAP client such as Mutt, Pine, fetchmail, or Netscape \
> #              Communicator.
> service imap
> {
>         socket_type             = stream
>         wait                    = no
>         user                    = root
>         server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
>         log_on_success  += HOST DURATION
>         log_on_failure  += HOST
>         disable                 = no
> }
>
> Aside: how does this know what port to work with?

Doesn't IMAP have a default port?

Can't help with the rest, so it's snipped.
> [snip]

> Please let me know if any further info is needed (cygcheck stuff, etc.).

In general, it's always good to accompany bug reports and system questions
(especially initial postings) with the output of "cygcheck -svr" as an
uncompressed text attachment.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw