Re: help on makefile

Yung Leem wrote:
Hello to all cygwin experts,

I am a newbie cygwin user that's having a problem compiling a java source.
I am running a makefile that's calling "javac -cp [some_dir] /cygdrive/c/blah/myclass.java"
that's complaining about not being able to find that file.  Being familiar with unix development,
I assumed that the shell process would spawn the javac process, but I think my guess is wrong.
What really seems to happen is that javac gets called from Windows XP (the system I am using)
and javac (from windows xp process) tries to compile that /cygdrive/c/blah/myclass.java file, and
obviously fails to find that file.  What are the options I have?

your javac program is not a cygwin program so it won't understand the cygwin like path. One solution is to use cygpath -w to translate cygwin-like path to windows-like path.

I am really freaking out that something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH, CLASSPATH, or PATH variables use ":"
colon as a delimeter, but windows file systems recognize ":" as a drive name not as a delimeter. So having something like "export CLASSPATH=c:/windows:c:/temp:c:/blah:$CLASSPATH" will be a
nightmare. I need some advise. Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Cygwin handle very well the path separators. If you do in cygwin bash $ export CLASSPATH=c:/windows:c:/temp:c:/blah:$CLASSPATH

you can launch a windows shell from cygwin and see that the var have been translated correctly (: -> ;)

Nicolas