Newbie: cygrunsrv using strange PATH variable

After removing a previous Cygwin installation from my system and reinstalling from the harddrive using Setup, running cygrunsrv from any account (administrator or user) produces a Windows dialog reporting that the DLL cannot be found in the path:

D:\cygwin\usr\sbin;.;<Windows system folders>;.

I'm pretty sure I have my bash startup files in the same state as in my previous installation, but here are the relevant bits from these files to show how the PATH variable is created:

[/etc/profile]
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH:."

[~/.bash_profile]
PATH="~/bin:${PATH}"

[~/.bashrc]
<empty>

If I echo the PATH variable when I first log in with rxvt, it shows:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI Technologies/ATI Control Panel:/cygdrive/d/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin:.

My question is, then, where is cygrunsrv pulling its PATH information from and how do I get it to recognize the environment of the shell its run in?

Many thanks,

Alder