configure: error: invalid package name: extra-includes

Hi list!

I have a problem with a configure script. It works like a charm most of
the time, but something seems to trigger a bug. I can work around the
bug by inserting extra spaces (or moving/removing them) between the
configure arguments.

Pasting some lines from the shell:

~/ggi-cygwin/libgii$ ../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/configure --prefix=/usr
-C  --with-extra-includes=/cygdrive/c/dx9csdk/include
configure: error: invalid package name: extra-includes
~/ggi-cygwin/libgii$ ../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/configure --prefix=/usr
-C  --with-extra-includes=/cygdrive/c/dx9csdk/include
configure: loading cache config.cache
checking for a BSD-compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
(I hit ^C)

Note the extra space after the -C argument.

Sometimes I have to use less extra spaces, like this:
~/ggi-cygwin/libgii$ ../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/configure --prefix=/usr
-C --with-extra-includes=/cygdrive/c/dx9csdk/include

Note that neither of these invocations work every time. I have
successfully tried all of them at some point though, so none of them are
always failing either. That seems to depend on if configure script has
been regenerated though, but it can also be the phase of the moon...
The directory names also seem relevant, that's why I have included
complete paths. Please try with different number of spaces between
arguments to try to trigger the bug before giving up.

I have not attached the configure script in question as it is rather
large. Instead it can be downloaded from
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~peda/configure
Here is a chain of commands to get a slimmed down environment for
testing it.

~$ mkdir ggi3
~$ mkdir ggi3/ggi-core
~$ mkdir ggi3/ggi-core/libgii
~$ mkdir ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/input
~$ mkdir ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/input/stdin
~$ mkdir ggi3/ggi-core/libgii
~$ mkdir ggi-cygwin
~$ mkdir ggi-cygwin/libgii
~$ touch ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/input/stdin/input.c
~$ wget http://www.lysator.liu.se/~peda/configure -O
ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/configure
~$ chmod +x ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/configure
~$ cd ggi-cygwin/libgii
~/ggi-cygwin/libgii$ ../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/configure --prefix=/usr
-C --with-extra-includes=/cygdrive/c/dx9csdk/include

With this slimmed down environment the bug is triggered when you see:
configure: error: invalid package name: extra-includes

The bug is not triggered when you see:
configure: loading cache config.cache
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in
../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii ../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/..
../../ggi3/ggi-core/libgii/../..

The last error is of course due to the slimmed down environment, the
relevant thing to note is that the script got around to load the cache.

You're of course all welcome to grab cvs-head of ggi-core for the
complete test case (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/ggi/ for
details).

I do not seem to be alone with problems in this area, see:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200309/msg00163.html
http://sulaco.hrhansen.dk/pipermail/kimdaba/2004-March/000309.html

This post can also be related:

Any suggestions? Is it reproducable?