Re: Cygwin-Perl upgrade and modules

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > The other day, I decided to finally update all my cygwin packages with
> > setup.exe -- including perl. Went from 5.8.0 to 5.8.5 and now realize that
> > the path to all the modules I installed is under the older version at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 instead of  /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5.
> > I've always shied away from upgrading perl in Linux so don't have much
> > experience dealing with modules from older installations. Must I re-install
> > all these modules, or can I add a path to them in my scripts, or should I
> > revert back to the older version of perl and if so, how? Any help
> > appreciated.
>
> It is not binary compatible (IIRC, 5.8.0 was not threaded), so you
> should recompile all modules which require compilation, pure perl
> modules may be moved from 5.8.0 to 5.8.5 path, however I always rebuild
> them from scratch.
>
> The autobundle command in a CPAN shell is meant to create a list of
> packages which you have installed (run before unistalling), after update
> you may simply run `install autobundle_$date` in the CPAN shell, this
> pulls all listed modules and tries to install it.
>

> Gerrit

Gerrit,

Would it make sense to always run the autobundle CPAN command in the perl
preremove script?  This way, the list will be available for the
postinstall script or a (recently proposed) migration assistance script to
do what it will.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw