Re: Latest ssh can not be spawned from expect.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Andrew Louder wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> My script works on a older cygwin software:
> expect == 5.26
            ^^^^
> ssh == OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
>
> My script fails on a current cygwin software:
> expect == 5.26
            ^^^^
> ssh == OpenSSH_3.8.1p1
> The symptons show that expect can not recognize the ssh output, so I
> will be prompted over and over again for the password.
>
> Also note, if I ssh from the older installation to the current
> installation, then my script works again.  It appears the problem lives
> is term compatibility.
>
> Andy
> PS.  Here is my script and example successfull execution:
> $ cat t.exp
> #!/usr/local.bin/expect -f
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> [snip]

Andy,

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about expect, I don't use it, I don't even have
it installed.

However, even without having used expect, the underlined lines above look
suspicious.  According to <http://www.cygwin.com/packages/expect/>, the
latest version of the expect package for Cygwin is 20030128-1, *not* 5.26.
Also, according to the package listing of expect-20030128-1, the "expect"
program resides in /usr/bin, *not* /usr/local.bin...  Looks like you're
not using Cygwin's expect, and so your question is off-topic for this
list.  On the off chance that you *are* using the Cygwin expect package,
and just aren't reporting the versions and paths correctly, please review

and follow the guidelines, especially the bit about attaching the output
of "cygcheck -svr".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw