Re: environment variable name converted to upper case

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:06:50PM -0400, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
>To expand on what Chris wrote, this is caused by the fact that in
>command.com (but not cmd.exe as supplied by XP - I don't know about
>earlier versions of cmd.exe) all user-setable Windows environmental
>variable are uppercase.

No.  Cygwin goes out of its way to change environment variables to upper
case.  Environment variables in windows, on NT+ at least, can be mixed
case.  Unfortunately, sometimes you find things like "Path" instead of
"PATH" so Cygwin needs to rectify that.

To repeat, translating environment variables to uppercase is something
that *cygwin* does.  Check out environ.cc for more information.

cgf