Re: Cygwin/Windows GUI Integration Question, Thank You, Offer & Residual Question

Thanks, Igor, without the key words "Cygwin bash here", my
searches were fruitless.

I decided on the following directions (modified to my environment):

I'm running Windows XP professional. (I note my version of
regedt32 is 5.1, and Finney's was 5.0.)

(*Anybody know why "3.", below, didn't quite work and "7." was
necessary? How can I fix "3." to simplify?*)

I'm running Windows XP professional

    *> (Adapted From Greg Finney)
                     ***********

1. Copy one of your "Cygwin.bat" startup files to
'Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.bat'. Edit it so that it
contains the following logic outline.
(I actually have four, of these:
* plain 'bash'
* 'rxvt'
* start X Windows & then an 'xterm'
* 'xterm' alone
I use these for iconic invocation of the resulting
Cygwin windows.
I decided to start with plain 'bash'. KISS, at least to start.)

        Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.bat
        =============================
        @echo off
        C:
        chdir C:\_root
        echo cd '%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9' > home/Lee/.Explorer_Dir
        bin\bash.exe --login -i

2. profile -- add the line

. .Explorer_Dir

to the end of your .profile or .bash_profile in your
Cygwin home directory
(I only use profile in /etc.) Didn't know I could use
the more *uxy '.profile'!? I knew that NTFS allowed the file
name; but I didn't know that Cygwin had made the shift back
to the GNU/UNIX mothership.)

3. Registry Script -- Lee_Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.reg

        Create a registry script for an explorer right-click
        option to open a Cygwin window. Enter the following
        lines into a file (adapted from Microsoft Windows XP
        Inside Out), save with a .reg extension. You may need
        to modify the path to cygwin_cmd_here.bat for your
        system.

        Lee_Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.reg
        =================================
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Cmd Here]
        @="Cygwin &Prompt Here"
        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Cmd Here\command]
        @="cmd.exe /k c:\root\Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.bat %L"

4. Execute Registry Script -- Lee_Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.reg

        Double click on the file created in step #3 to add those
        keys to the registry

5. 'Cygwin Prompt Here'
You should now be done:

Choosing 'Cygwin Prompt Here'
when right clicking on a folder should launch the batch
script, creating a command to cd to the folder directory
that will be executed when your bash login process
sources your .profile or .bash_profile

6. For some reason the value:
cmd.exe /k c:\root\Cygwin_Bash_from_Explorer.bat %L
was not put into the node:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Cmd Here\command
and I had to edit it by hand with MS 'regedt32.exe'.
Anybody know why "3." didn't quite work and "6." was necessary?

If there's interest, I'll write all this up as "Integrating
Cygwin and Windoze", and include some comments on, and useful
scripts and macros.