vile hangup in ssh client

Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4
vile version 9.3 for win32, built Jun 26 2002 19:44:48 with Visual C++
Cygwin DLL version: 1.5.10
openssh              3.9p1-1

The problem is that I can't use vile in an ssh client (in an xterm, putty or
windows terminal), although it works in a windows+cygwin local terminal.
I though it had something to do with CYGWIN="tty" vs "notty", as I noticed on
another machine, but this time neither work : vile is unable to show the editor
screen.

I tried to set :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
"CYGWIN"="binmode ntsec tty"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sshd\Parameters\Environment
"CYGWIN"="binmode ntsec tty"

The strange thing is that, when I set CYGWIN to "notty", it doesn't change ^Z
(job control) handling as expected, so I wonder if I did it wrong, if it's taken
into account ?

Thx for help