.conf for imapd?

Maybe I'm missing some obvious documentation, but how do I configure imapd? I dont see anything under /usr/doc and man isn't helping. I'd like it to be able to pull mail from /var/spool/mail/username. Actually according to this there's a config file somewhere:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#3.1

Perhaps Im going about this the wrong way. Sounds like the binary is set in its ways. Should I instead change exim's local delivery to point to my home directory? If so, what is the proper directory to add? inbox? mbox?

I know I'm spamming this list, but I'd like to get this mail delivery working. Thanks.

Mike