RE: installing packages using setup.exe from the command line (e.g., remotely)

Max wrote:
> Christopher Cobb wrote:
>> I've found snipets of information, such as this:
>>
>>    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html
>>
>> What I would like is an example of how to use setup.exe from the
>> command line (e.g., via ssh) to install a package remotely.
>>
>> I've tried this:
>>
>>    setup -D -s ftp://mirrors.kernel.org -R $CYGWIN_HOME -q -n wget
>>
>> which does not produce any errors, but it also doesn't seem to
>> download or install the package.
>
> setup isn't really designed for use from the command line. It
> doesn't take
> package names as arguments, for example. You could, I suppose, munge
> /etc/setup/installed.db to fool setup into thinking that a really
> old (e.g.
> version 0) version of a package is installed, so that it would
> updated - it's a messy way to do it, but there is no better way.

"clean_setup.pl" helps in finding the "-missing" (clean_setup option to use)
archives, in combination with the -curr -prev -test options.
This creates a list that can then be used as input when dl'ing with wget or
curl.
 The install OTOH must be done with setup.exe AFAIK. But having had the
packages dl'ed beforehand might help a bit.

 Not yet tried it myself though.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems            --72-->

** mailing list preference; please keep replies on list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--