Re: upgrading openssh 3.8.1p1-1 -> 3.9p1-1 breaks privilege separation

On Aug 18 15:35, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Yes.  As far as I know, everything is configured to use privilege
> separation.  But the fact that 3.9p1-1 worked for me without adding the
> -r switch made me wonder whether sshd was really doing privilege
> separation.  Is there any debugging output that indicates privsep is in
> use?  Can I tell using ps?  Is there any way to tell for sure that it is
> being used?

When stracing it, you'll see that two child processes are created by
sshd.  But the "privilege separated" process exits after it has done
it's job so there's no additional process, except for a fraction of
a second.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.