Re: Windows XP SP2 - anybody tried it yet?

Charles Plager wrote:

Microsoft is getting ready to push out SP2 via their automatic update. What experiences have people had with using cygwin applications with sp2 installed (particularly with the "improved" firewall)?

I've been running SP2 (final network admin install) for the last week. No problems with ordinary usage.

I don't run any network daemons like FTPd or sshd, but even for them, the only thing you have to do is to open a firewall port (or allow the program to listen on any port - there are two ways to punch holes in the Windows firewall).

Note that the default mode of the FTP client will cause one of these port use warnings to pop up from Windows, because in its regular mode (i.e. not PASV), when you GET a file using FTP, the client actually listens on a port, and the server tries to open connection to push the data. Again, all you have to when Windows pops up the "program is trying to open port" dialog, is to say "OK" once.