RE: perl: cpan module's interactive mode fails

  I've sometimes seen those error messages.  In my case, they've always been
caused by attempting to on-the-fly-gunzip and untar by using "tar -xz" a
file that is in fact just an ordinary tar and has already been gunzip'ed
separately.

  My WAG is that this is happening because there are some ftp servers that
if you download a .gz file from them, they uncompress it in transmission.
Yes, I know, that sounds like a really daft idea and in fact it is: "Oh,
this file has been compressed to make it quicker to transmit: so let's
uncompress it at the server and send the whole thing to the client".  D'oh.
A nice example of a feature that seems useful at first sight but is in fact
not something you're ever likely to want to actually do in practice........

  So, my first suggestion would be to take a quick look at the file with cat
or less and see if it's already been gunziped and just looks like a plain
(ascii text) tar file.  That would diagnose it; how you'd go about fixing it
(remove the .gz from the extension?  recompress it yourself?  persuade the
CPAN install process to download it from a less 'helpful' ftp site?) is
another question.

    cheers,
      DaveK