read command available?

Jarzombek, Svend asks ...

> Is the read command somewhere available?
> Up to now I wasn't able to find it.

The read command is supposedly a shell builtin.

Strangely enough, the first time I tried the
example given with ksh, I got the exact same response.

However on later attempts, I got what was expected.
I find this odd.

/bin/sh and bash both handle this just fine.
I can't speak for ksh, but maybe its time to
switch to a different shell?

neal