RE: Backticks hang with dynamic antivirus scanning

You could try replacing all of your `command` syntax with $(command).
AFAIK, this was introduced with ksh way way back. The back tick support
was kept for compatibility with older bourne shell scripts. But at that time
AT&T were recommending $() syntax, though they also recommended that
root should use /bin/sh not /bin/ksh, go figure.

Anyway the replacement should work for scripts that you are developing.
If you have a large number of existing scripts maybe something like
(this might require a lot of excapes to work, YMMV)