RE: Can I install Cygwin if I have a C: drive but run Windows from H:\WINDOWS\?

zzzzzz-zzzzz@cygwin.zzz i.e. Larry Hall, wrote:
> At 05:39 AM 8/17/2004, you <as quoted by Larry - "Fergus"> wrote:

-zNIPz here and there-
>> I know we can install Cygwin wherever we like (default c:\Cygwin\
>> but it could be c:\MyOS\ or g:\Cygwin\ or even, after overcoming an
>> objection, the root directory g:\). But has Cygwin its own
>> expectations of what else is where?

> Cygwin imposes no requirements on the location of the Windows
> installation. Whatever the problem is with this failure, it is
> installation specific and not endemic to Cygwin.

-WJM-mode=OFF-
 While there _should_ be no requirements, one has to be realistic and
recognize this possibly beeing a setup - or postinstall - malfunction
triggered by the "nonstandard install location".

By all means, there might even be the 'classic' problem; A (windows) user
name with at least one space in it.

To get further - beginner level assumed;
I'd suggest to launch cmd (command for W95/98/Me - "fergus" didn't mention
which "OS" it was) from the start menu or whatever.

At the prompt type 'H:' and then 'cd \MyOs\bin\' - hitting enter on both,
and do this:

H:\MyOs\bin> dir cygcheck*.*
[output, hopefully listing cygcheck.exe - it is in the 'base' package]

If the cygcheck.exe is available, then do:

H:\MyOs\bin> PATH=.;%PATH%
H:\MyOs\bin> cygcheck -svr >\cygcheck.txt

... and then follow instructions at the "Problem reports:" webpage; i.e.
APPEND the cygcheck.txt file to an email and send it here.
(webpage link below in this mail - as in every other mail on this list).

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E         --72-->

** mailing list preference; please keep replies on list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--