Re: Question about moving cygwin to another dirve

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Peter Rehley wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2004, at 9:43 PM, Yihu Li wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > My c drive does not have enough space, so I just copyed the whole
> > folder of cygwin to another drive and expect to run it there. It
> > worked but the problem is that the default folder is still under
> > c:/cygwin, not the new one g:/cygwin. Anyone knows how to map it to
> > the new drive?
>
> Change the mount information in the registry

NO!!!  Please do NOT go into the registry for any Cygwin-related thing
unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.  The only conceivable settings
that should be changed in the registry are the per-program options and the
memory management controls, neither of which has anything to do with
mounts.  Use "mount" to change the mounts, as the next poster suggested.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Nicolas Roche wrote:

> Another solution is to use the cygwin mount command in order to change
> the location of /

This should be the ONLY solution.

One thing to add is that there is more than one mount that needs to be
changed.  Probably the easiest way would be to do a blanket
search-and-replace of "c:\cygwin" to "g:\cygwin" in your mounts, using
something like

eval "`mount -m | sed 's,c:/cygwin,g:/cygwin,gi'`"

(please test this first with "echo" instead of "eval", to make sure you
are getting the right values).
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw