Creating a multi-volume archive with tar

Hi,

I am trying to write large files across multiple floppies using tar. I am
using tar 1.13.25 and it writes to the first diskette but then stops - no
prompt for the next disk or anything.

I searched the archives and found the following:

> >Did you try the -M or --multi-volume option of tar?
> >
> >Corinna
> >

> Yes, I did.
>
> I even tried to force "tape size" to number below the size of floppy
> disk -- no success.
>
> I have experience with C, so I think I could find a problem, but I think
>  that development could do it quicker. Anyway if you point me where to
> start, I can try.

I found the culprit.  It was age old code in Cygwin which should speed
up reading and writing on raw devices by using buffering.  This works
nicely for reading, but it doesn't work quite as well for writing.
I've removed buffered writing for raw devices entirely.

Corinna

Is this fix in the currently available distribution yet? Is so, which
component of cygwin do I have to update i.e. tar.exe, one of the dll's or
what?

If it's not currently available, what are my options? :-)

Thanks
Peter

Peter Milliken
Software Engineer
ResMed
Phone: +61 2 9886-5059
Fax:   +61 2 9878-5564

Warning:  Copyright ResMed.  Where the contents of this email and/or attachment includes materials prepared by ResMed, the use of those
materials is subject exclusively to the conditions of engagement between ResMed and the intended recipient.

This communication is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
By the use of email over the Internet or other communication systems, ResMed is not waiving either confidentiality of, or legal
privilege in,the content of the email and of any attachments.
If the recipient of this message is not the intended addressee, please call ResMed immediately on  +61 2 9886 5000 Sydney, Australia.