ssh & ssh-agent weirdness

Hi again,

This is kind of related to my previous post (Subject: Cygwin, samba,
smbntsec and domain groups) but is sufficiently different enough to
warrant a new thread I think.

On my XP boxes I have Cygwin installed with domain users in
/etc/passwd.  I have been unable to get ssh to work correctly regardless
of whether the CYGWIN envar set to smbntsec or just ntsec due to file
permission problems (outlined in my previous post).

I have just discovered that if I run ssh-agent using

$ eval `ssh-agent`

then

$ ssh-add

<tap in my passphrase>

it all works all of a sudden (i.e. I can ssh -A to any machine and get
straight in) regardless of what Cygwin thinks the permissions on my
~/.ssh/id_dsa are.

Is this expected behaviour?

I believe I should be setting smbntsec as the home drives are samba
mounts, but that seems to screw up the group numbers, they all become
off by one (please see my other post for more details).  Can someone
shed any light on this please?  I'm sure this is all related to the ssh
problem that I am seeing in the first place (i.e. it won't correctly
work without the agent).

Thanks muchly.

Dan.
Dan Alderman                Software Engineer

OneEighty Software Ltd.     Phone: +44 20 8680 8712
Cygnet House                Fax: +44 20 8680 8453
12-14 Sydenham Road
Croydon                     Email: d.alderman@180sw.com
CR9 2ET
UK

Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIP) Act 2000 together
with any and all Regulations in force pursuant to the Act One Eighty
Software Ltd reserves the right to monitor any or all incoming or
outgoing communications as provided for under the Act.