SSH drops connection immediately after MOTD

I'm having a strange problem with Cygwin SSHD on a Windows Server 2003. I can
log in with password authentication without any problems, but with RSA
authentication, a session is opened and immediately closes again.

ssh -v localhost says:

debug1: Sending response to host key RSA challenge.
debug1: Remote: RSA authentication accepted.
debug1: RSA authentication accepted by server.
debug1: Requesting pty.
debug1: Requesting shell.
debug1: Entering interactive session.
Last login: Fri Aug 13 14:39:26 2004 from 127.0.0.1
Connection to localhost closed.
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 54, stderr 33 bytes in 0.2 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 306.8, stderr 187.5
debug1: Exit status 255

With password authentication something slightly different happens at the end
which gives me a useful login:

debug1: Next authentication method: password
xx@xxx.xxx's password:
debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Entering interactive session.

If I use RSA authentication but don't request a tty (ssh -T), the connection
is still closes immediately.

Any ideas about what may be wrong?

/jfk