curses colors

Hi,

I'm running curses from Python in an xterm on XP Pro, and the
colors are, well, let's say, strange:

BLACK (0,0,0) looks yellow
RED (680,0,0) looks red!
GREEN (0,680,0) looks green!
YELLOW (680,680,0) looks brown
BLUE (0,0,680) looks black
MAGENTA (680,0,680) looks red, also
CYAN (0,680,680) looks green, also
WHITE (680,680,680) looks black, also

can_change_colors is False (i.e., No, I can't, and I have
tried: init_color() pukes).  Is this the case from C code?
Question is: is this a glitch/unfeature in the libcurses or some
python thing?  It isn't related to X is it?  (I do NOT have X
installed on my system)

Is there a relatively (i.e., no more than a couple of hours' work)
safe (i.e., will NOT endager my existing Python/curses setup, which
otherwise works wonderfully) fix/patch/mod/hack that I (beaucoup years
C and *nix, 2 months Windoze) could make? It'd be nice to have all
eight colors.

Many, many TIA.

Cheers.  :)