Re: C compiler cannot create executables

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Al Bogner wrote:

> I am new to cygwin and unfortunately I have to install _offline_ and
> have a slow dial-up connection on the other pc too. Someone
> recommended me to install online on another pc and copy the files
> to the other pc, but I downloaded 730MB till now, which I don't
> want to throw away.

You *may* have to throw away some of the downloaded packages, but only if
you downloaded from a corrupt mirror.  Unfortunately, you haven't provided
the information necessary for this list to determine which mirror you used
or what the state of your system is (see <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
for details).

BTW, if I understand correctly, the above paragraph was intended to ward
off the "blow away your Cygwin and reinstall" type of advice.  FWIW,
reinstalling doesn't involve redownloading the packages -- setup.exe will
use the local versions if present.

> So could you please help me to get compilation running. I tried lame
> and cdrtools and both end with a message like "C compiler cannot
> create executables".

This sounds like a message from configure.  Look in the config.log file
that is produced by configure for the exact error.  Also, check that a
simple "hello world" program can be compiled with gcc and executed.

> When I search the net, I found two solutions for similar problems,
> package missing or compiler broken. Or maybe it is a simple right
> problem?
>
> Which package could be missing? For my installed packages please see
> below. I installed "gcc (GCC) 3.3.1 (cygming special)", where can I
> download 2.95.3?

You're making an assumption here that may not be valid.  Please review the
problem reporting instructions at the link above, and see if config.log
sheds any light on this.

> cygcheck -c
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package                 Version          Status
> [snip]

Oh, and in the future, please *attach* the output of cygcheck, since
including it inline produces false positives on archive searches.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw