Re: question about cygwin.bat vs .bashrc

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Erik Weibust wrote:

> I was reading in the Cygwin users guide.  Specifically in section 2.2.
>
> It mentions some env vars that can be set in the cygwin.bat: CYGWIN,
> PATH, HOME, TERM, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> First, none were defined in my cygwin.bat.  Is that a problem?  There
> weren't any env vars defined.

All of the above variables are optional, and will get default values if
not defined.  The default for CYGWIN is empty, PATH will be the Windows
PATH (also adjusted in /etc/profile), the rules for HOME are in the
mailing list archives (most often it comes from /etc/passwd if valid),
TERM is set to "cygwin" for the CMD.EXE window, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
empty and I don't believe it's even used in Cygwin (Windows uses PATH to
search for DLLs).

> Second question, Is there any reason to define the vars in cygwin.bat
> over my .bashrc?

Some variables (e.g., CYGWIN) need to be set before a Cygwin process
loads.  Besides, there are some rc scripts that execute before ~/.bashrc
(in particular, /etc/profile for login shells).

> I don't like the behavior of the windows command window so I use putty
> to ssh into my machine.

Assuming you run Cygwin sshd, this will inherit the environment variables
you set for the ssh daemon using cygrunsrv.  Another alternative is using
"rxvt -display :0 -T Cygwin -e bash -li", which will use the native
Windows GUI with no need for sshd.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw