Re: Cygwin permissions problem

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 03:09:44PM -0700, Fish wrote:

> I (Fish) wrote:
>
> > Just thought I'd throw this into the mix too in case it might help:
> >

> > I *do* have Microsoft's "Virtual PC" product installed on my system
> > (and already have a couple of test Windows 2000 systems setup under
> > it), so if there's any type of "experimentation" scenario[1] you or
> > anyone else would like me to try in order to try and get to the
> > bottom of this issue, I'd be more than happy to do it.
>
> <footnote n/a, so snipped>
>
> Well, I just tried doing a fresh (first time) install on a "virgin",
> up-to-date (fully patched) Windows 2000 [Virtual PC] system, and
> guess what?
>

> I doesn't work. :(
>
> (manual cygcheck -v -c -s o/p attached)

setup is a Windows program. The files it creates have the inheritable
permissions of the parent directory.
For new installations, all permissions are inherited from the top
install folder (typically c:\).
In your case, it looks like some directories (like /bin) have OK
inheritable permissions, while others (like /etc) don't.

In addition to the properties menu, you can quickly visualize permissions
with the Windows "cacls" program.

Pierre