Cygwin permissions problem

I (Fish) wrote:

> Just thought I'd throw this into the mix too in case it might help:
>

> I *do* have Microsoft's "Virtual PC" product installed on my system
> (and already have a couple of test Windows 2000 systems setup under
> it), so if there's any type of "experimentation" scenario[1] you or
> anyone else would like me to try in order to try and get to the
> bottom of this issue, I'd be more than happy to do it.

<footnote n/a, so snipped>

Well, I just tried doing a fresh (first time) install on a "virgin",
up-to-date (fully patched) Windows 2000 [Virtual PC] system, and
guess what?

I doesn't work. :(

(manual cygcheck -v -c -s o/p attached)

Whenever I try logging into bash (via the supplied shortcut (which
calls cygwin.bat to do a chdir C:\cygwin\bin followed by a bash
- --login -i)), I get a normal looking Command Prompt window with:

  bash: /etc/profile: Permission denied
  bash-2.05b$

Trying to anything from this command prompt window is futile:

  bash: /etc/profile: Permission denied
  bash-2.05b$ ls -al
  bash: ls: command not found
  bash-2.05b$ which bash
  bash: which: command not found
  bash-2.05b$ cygcheck
  bash: cygcheck: command not found
  bash-2.05b$

Manually navigating (via Windows Explorer) to the /etc directory and
right-clicking on 'profile' to pull up the properties (to examine the
defined Windows security/permissions for the file) reveal that ONCE
AGAIN *no one* -- not even "me" (userid 'fish' on this system too)
has *ANY* permissions[1] whatsoever.

When I installed, I chose all of the default packages. I didn't
change anything. I just kept clicking 'Next' and let it "do its
thing" (with rather disappointing results I might add).

Anyway, that's it. IMO something is obviously VERY wrong somewhere
within Cygwin. If there's anything I can do to help get to the bottom
of this, please let me know. I'm quite anxious to get this issue
resolved.

I'm not in any *hurry* or anything (i.e. there's absolutely no "rush"
to get this resolved). I'm just puzzled and baffled and extremely
curious to know (to figure out) what the FRICK is going on! You know?
:)

Thanks.

- --------------------
[1] Not strictly true of course. The 'Security' tab of the Windows
File Properties dialog only shows the most common permission
settings. THOSE are the ones that are all 'blank' (i.e. NONE of them
are checked for ANY of the userids/groups listed). Clicking the
'Advanced' button however and checking the FULL set of Windows
permissions [for the userid ("fish") and file in question] reveals
that I have the "Write Attributes", "Write Extended Attributes",
"Delete", "Read Permissions" "Change Permissions" and "Take
Ownership" permissions, but no others.

The other members listed [on the Security tab] -- 'Users' and
'Everyone' -- have the following permissions:

  Users:
    Read Attributes(*)
    Read Extended Attributes(*)
    Read Permissions
  Everyone:
    (same as above)

(*) Note that I wasn't even given THOSE permissions (even though I
*am* a member of the Administrators group); I was only given "Write
[Extended] Attributes" permissions, but *not* Read [Extended]
Attributes permission. Most peculiar, wouldn't you say??

- --
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
   fish@infidels.org

Fight Spam! Join CAUCE!