Re: how can I set $REMOTEHOST ( so I can set $DISPLAY with sshd w\X11 forwarding)

Ken Dibble <kdibbleNOSPAM <at> alltel.net> writes:

> I'm not 100 % sure what you are saying.
> Are you trying to say that the cygwin sshd does not respect the -X and
> -Y flags
> passed to the local ssh process?
> And that for the above named reason you are forced to manually set the
> DISPLAY variable?
>
> regards,
> ken
>

> peter waltman wrote:
>
> >hi -
> >
> >trying to figure out how to set $REMOTEHOST when I ssh into a machine running
> >cygwin's imp. of sshd.  X11 forwarding works great when I set the $DISPLAY
> >properly, but I'd like to have it done in the .bashrc file (by checking if the
> >$REMOTEHOST var is set).
> >
> >I've tried looking through the startup scripts on both my cygwin install and a
> >rh9 box, but can't find where it gets set.  can anyone point me in the right
> >direction?

yeah.  pretty much.  I've set the "ForwardX11 yes" in the sshd_config file on
the server I log into and I've also set it in the ssh_config with the client I'm
using to log into it.

   piano{pwaltman}51: ssh -X grad107m
   pwaltman@grad107m's password:
   Last login: Fri Aug  6 19:16:42 2004 from lin04.eecs.tufts.edu

   pwaltman@GRAD107M ~
   $ echo $DISPLAY
   127.0.0.1:0

even when I use the -X flag, it still set's my $DISPLAY to the above value and
when I start an X11 app, like xterm, it ends up getting launched in the server's
x-server and appears on the desktop of the server (grad107m).  If I set the
$DISPLAY to localhost:10.0, everything works fine and it appears on the client.

not sure why, ergo the reason I want to use the $REMOTEHOST var as a means to
check if I've ssh'd in remotely and then use something like

if $?REMOTEHOST
   export DISPLAY=$REMOTEHOST:0.0

thanks for any ideas,

Peter

p.s. forgive the shell script syntax errors.  I don't remember the exact script,
but I've seen folks who've done it this way.