Re: Problem starting sshd as a service

On Aug  5 07:45, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >Have a look into the script, right at the end. chown is only called if
> >sshd has been installed as service. Otherwise the script assumes that
> >sshd is going to be run from some user account in a console window. In
> >that case, chown'ing to system wouldn't make much sense.
>
> But would it hurt to chown even if sshd is going to be run from some
> user account in a console window? (Personally I find that assumption
> odd. Does anybody run sshd from some user account in a console window?)

Actually, running all process under the same account and having this
account owning all files is probably some sort of default.  Just
starting an sshd in a console window, running under the only account
which should be able to log on from remote (using pubkey authentication)
is probably the easiest way to get an sshd up and running.  And I'm
pretty sure there is a non-trivial amount of people running sshd that way.
So, while always running chown from ssh-host-config would probably
simplify the script, but I don't think that's the way to go.  The problem
is, that the script works for me(tm) and so I'm still curious what
happens on other machines.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.