Re: Problem starting sshd as a service

Gernot Hillier wrote:
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 5. August 2004 11:24 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:

- setup ssh:
	- set environment variable CYGWIN to "ntsec tty" (Control Panel/
	System/Advanced/Environmental Variables)
	- call "ssh-host-config -y" in a cygwin window --> creates a user "sshd"
	- chown SYSTEM /etc/ssh_host_* /var/empty
	- net start sshd
	- try to login with "ssh localhost"

So for me it seems as sshd is installed as service but this last check
somehow fails.

I'm sorry but that's not exactly helpful. I'd need a proof and at least a debug output of a script run. I'm also wondering sometimes why nobody tries to fix the bug (if there is one) instead of constantly working around it. It's just a shell script. It's not overly complicated, is it?

I'll try to do this as soon as I have something around an hour of spare time. But I can't promise anything, sorry... :-(

I had similar problems in the past week on 3 machines, but did not look at the script. Have to admit that I read *very* little of the doc for setting up ssh however (my bad), and plugged away. Finding the eventvwr message about not getting to /var/empty and looking at that led me to the same solution on the chown SYSTEM invocation. All I had done, following a clean install was ssh-host-config (and ssh-user-config on one system trying to figure it out). At least a hint from the script that it is running without an installed service might be helpful (and yes I'll see if I can't find the time to make the mods as well).

Keep up the good work!
-- Mark