Mutt and Paths

If this is mutt-specific I apologise in advance but I'm trying to figure out why shell commands executed within mutt fail if the command includes the '~' notation. For example:

!less /etc/passwd   # works
!less ~/.muttrc     # fails - no such file or directory

What's curious is that in the second example, mutt does seem to expand '~' on its command-line (tab completion works), but the command itself fails.

On the other hand, it does appear that explicit paths, relative paths and symlinks work. Mostly.

!man -M d:/cygwin/home/george/man mymuttpage # no manual entry for mymuttpage

Thanks.

works only if the file is in the current path.