Re: RESEND man.conf permissions problem

At 03:34 AM 8/4/2004, you wrote:

>(I've removed the attachment in case that might have been associated
>with the reason why my original post never made it to the list. If
>you need to see my cygcheck output, let me know and I can either send
>that directly to you (zipped) or post it inline in another post.
>Thanks.)

This list will accept gzipped attachments but not other compressed forms.
If your attachment is <100K, there's no need to compress it.

>Note #2: I have additional information regarding this problem. Please
>see the end of this (re-)post. Thanks.

 From the information you provided so far, it looks to me like you installed
initially some things as "Administator" and subsequently some others as
"fish".  So you have a mix-and-match of file permissions.  I'd recommend
one of two things:

  1. Completely uninstall and remove the directory that you installed
     Cygwin to.  Recreate the directory as the user you will install as
     and then run 'setup.exe' as that user.

  2. Try changing the owner and/or permissions in your Cygwin tree to
     something amenable to the user you want to run as (via chown/chmod).

Also, it looks like your '/etc/passwd' and '/etc/group' need some updating.
Take a look at 'man mkpasswd' and 'man mkgroup' for some information on the
options here.

Holliston, MA 01746