RESEND man.conf permissions problem

(I've removed the attachment in case that might have been associated
with the reason why my original post never made it to the list. If
you need to see my cygcheck output, let me know and I can either send
that directly to you (zipped) or post it inline in another post.
Thanks.)

Note #2: I have additional information regarding this problem. Please
see the end of this (re-)post. Thanks.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< begin repost >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't know when things went wrong (i.e. at which version released at
what point in time), BUT, SOMETHING obviously went very wrong with
the 'man' package at some recent point in the past, because it USED
to work just fine (month or three ago??) whereas now it DOESN'T.

I only noticed it today when I tried to view the man page for gcc:

fish@asswipe ~
$ man gcc
Warning: cannot open configuration file /usr/share/misc/man.conf
No manual entry for gcc

fish@asswipe ~
$ cd /usr/share/misc

fish@asswipe /usr/share/misc
$ ls -al
total 10
dr-xr-x---+   2 fish     Users           0 Jul 31 21:18 .
drwx------+  27 Administ ????????        0 Jul 31 20:49 ..
- ----------    1 fish     Users        4777 Jul 31 20:49 man.conf
- -r-xr-x---+   1 fish     Users        4777 Mar 22 13:04
man.conf.default

fish@asswipe /usr/share/misc
$ chmod 755 man.conf

fish@asswipe /usr/share/misc
$ ls -al
total 10
dr-xr-x---+   2 fish     Users           0 Jul 31 21:18 .
drwx------+  27 Administ ????????        0 Jul 31 20:49 ..
- -rwxr-xr-x    1 fish     Users        4777 Jul 31 20:49 man.conf
- -r-xr-x---+   1 fish     Users        4777 Mar 22 13:04
man.conf.default

fish@asswipe /usr/share/misc
$ man gcc

fish@asswipe /usr/share/misc
$ cygcheck -s > cygcheck.txt

fish@asswipe /usr/share/misc
$

As you can see, the man.conf file gets created with absolutely no
permissions whatsoever. This can be confirmed via Windows File
Properties dialog.

I tried re-installing as well as un-installing & re-installing the
current 1.5k-3 as well as the previous 1.5k-2 versions of the package
from several different mirrors with the same results: the man.conf
file gets created with absolutely no permissions whatsoever.

Luckily I'm am administrator (and already had ownership of the file
too) and so changed the permissions and voilà! Now man works just
fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on and/or what I can
look at to try and figure out what the heck is going on??

Thanks.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< end repost >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Additional info:

Doing some more digging/poking around, it looks like my 'cp' (copy)
utility might be broken or something. <shrug>

- -------------------

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck -l man
/etc/postinstall/man.sh
/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/bin/man.exe
/usr/bin/man2dvi
/usr/bin/man2html.exe
<<< (snipped) >>>>

fish@asswipe ~
$ cat /etc/postinstall/man.sh
cat: /etc/postinstall/man.sh: No such file or directory

fish@asswipe ~
$ ls -al /etc/postinstall
total 326
drwx------+   2 Administ ????????    12288 Jul 31 21:18 .
drwx------+   8 Administ ????????        0 Jul 31 19:42 ..
- -rwx------+   1 Administ mkpasswd      160 Dec  5  2002
autoconf-devel.sh.done
- -rwx------+   1 Administ Users         144 Mar  9  2003
automake-devel.sh.done
- ----------+   1 fish     Users         849 Apr  5  2003
base-files-mketc.sh.done
- ----------+   1 fish     Users         266 Aug 12  2003
base-files-profile.sh.done
<<< (snipped) >>>>

fish@asswipe ~
$ cat /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done
#!/bin/sh

prefix=/usr
bindir=${prefix}/bin
datadir=${prefix}/share
mandir=${datadir}/man

if [ ! -e ${datadir}/misc/man.conf ] ; then
        cp ${datadir}/misc/man.conf.default ${datadir}/misc/man.conf
fi

cd ${bindir}
ln -sf man.exe manpath.exe

cd ${mandir}/man1
ln -sf man.1 manpath.1

- -------------------

Looking at the 'man.sh.done' script above (I'm assuming it simply
gets renamed once it's been run), a simple copy ('cp') command is
issued to create 'man.conf' from 'man.conf.default'

Yet, interestingly, whenever I manually enter the copy command for
myself, the permissions, as before are all screwed up (i.e.
non-existent, confirmed manualy via Windows right-click Properties):

- -------------------

fish@asswipe ~
$ ls -al /usr/share/misc
total 5
d---------+   2 fish     Users           0 Aug  3 09:29 .
drwx------+  27 Administ ????????        0 Jul 31 20:49 ..
- ----------+   1 fish     Users        4777 Mar 22 13:04
man.conf.default

fish@asswipe ~
$ cp /usr/share/misc/man.conf.default /usr/share/misc/man.conf

fish@asswipe ~
$ ls -al /usr/share/misc
total 10
d---------+   2 fish     Users           0 Aug  4 00:28 .
drwx------+  27 Administ ????????        0 Jul 31 20:49 ..
- ----------    1 fish     mkpasswd     4777 Aug  4 00:28 man.conf
- ----------+   1 fish     Users        4777 Mar 22 13:04
man.conf.default

fish@asswipe ~
$
- -------------------

Here's my cygcheck info on 'cp':

- -------------------

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck -l cp

fish@asswipe ~
$ which cp
/usr/bin/cp

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck -c man
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
man                  1.5k-3         OK

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck -c cp
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck -l cp

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck cp
Found: D:\Cygwin\bin\cp.exe
D:/Cygwin/bin/cp.exe
  G:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.dll
    G:\WINNT\system32\NTDLL.DLL
  D:\Cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    G:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
      G:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
  D:\Cygwin\bin\cygintl-2.dll
    D:\Cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll

fish@asswipe ~
$ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/cp
fileutils-4.1-2

- -------------------

I haven't tried reinstalling (or uninstalling/reinstalling) the
fileutils package yet, but I will, just to see if that makes any
difference at all.

In the mean time if there's anything else anyone can suggest for me
to do / look at, please let me know! This issue, while minor, is
driving me nuts! :)   (i.e. it's annoying as all get out)

Thanks. :)

- --
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
   fish@infidels.org