Re: Initdb FATAL error shmat - Win98 Cygwin 1.5.10-3 - PostgreSQL 7.4.3

I install PostgreSQL 7.4.2 today without changing Cygwin install. Initdb works fine : initialization is good !

Mos

-----------------

On Aug  2 20:57, Mos wrote:
> Hi there !
>

> I have a problem to work with PostgreSQL with Cygwin.
>
> My OS is Windows 98 and I install cygwin full package, following numerous
> tutorials available on the Net.
>
> All is fine except, I can not initialize a database :
> All is fine until i try to initialize the database :
>
> ---------------
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
> selecting default max_connections... 10
> selecting default shared_buffers... 50
> creating configuration files... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... FATAL:
> shmat<id=
> 1179648> failed: Invalid argument

I tried it and it actually only happens on 9x.  I found that postgres
tries to shmat to an address which I have no idea about where it comes
from.  The problem with that address is, that it's neither a multiple
of SHMLBA, nor does postgres call shmat with the SHM_RND flag.  For some
reason the address is ok on NT.

So, Jason, do you have an idea why that happens? Two questions come to mind:

- How does postgres evaluate that address and why does it only fail on 9x?

- Why does postgres use a fixed address at all, instead of using NULL to
  let the system decide which address to use?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Co-Project Leader <mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com>mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com

wi