Re: Please help with 4NT and cygwin problem?? (WinXP)

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:00:27PM +0000, Daniel Miller wrote:

I'm running 4NT (current version) on a Windows XP system. Recently I got a spyware program on my machine which messed some things up. I removed the spyware, but I find that I cannot run any Cygwin utilities

from the 4NT prompt anymore. When I run a program (such as cat, strace,

gcc, make, etc), I just immediately get a command prompt back. I tried completely removing both 4NT and Cygwin, including registry entries and all copies of cyg*.dll, rebooting, and reinstalling both packages, but the problem is unchanged.

The utilities run fine from an regular CMD.EXE console. Jpsoft is unwilling to provide any assistance with this, though I'm a registered user. Also, most (if not all) other console programs work, only the Cygwin utilities seem to have a problem.

Can anyone here provide any ideas on what I can do to find out why the Cygwin utilities are terminating immediately?? I can't even run strace, since it also terminates immediately with no messages!! This is very frustrating!!

strace isn't a cygwin application so something is really strange here. Can you run cygcheck.exe? That's not a cygwin app either. Maybe one of the utilities at the http://sysinternals.com/ site will help.

Otherwise, it sounds a little like you have more than one copy of the
DLL on your system.  The system search utility would confirm or deny
that fact.

OT: Any reason why you haven't moved to the Cygwin bash shell? IMO, it's much better than 4NT (my prior command-line-of-choice prior to Cygwin)...