Please help with 4NT and Cygwin problem?? (WinXP)

I'm running 4NT (current version) on a Windows XP system.  Recently I
got a spyware program on my machine which messed some things up.  I
removed the spyware, but I find that I cannot run any Cygwin utilities
from the 4NT prompt anymore.  When I run a program (such as cat, strace,
gcc, make, etc), I just immediately get a command prompt back.  I tried
completely removing both 4NT and Cygwin, including registry entries and
all copies of cyg*.dll, rebooting, and reinstalling both packages, but
the problem is unchanged.

The utilities run fine from an regular CMD.EXE console.  Jpsoft is
unwilling to provide any assistance with this, though I'm a registered
user.  Also, most (if not all) other console programs work, only the
Cygwin utilities seem to have a problem.

Can anyone here provide any ideas on what I can do to find out why the
Cygwin utilities are terminating immediately??  I can't even run strace,
since it also terminates immediately with no messages!!  This is very
frustrating!!

	Dan Miller