problem with permissions / proftpd

I am trying to set up a ftp server using proftpd

I have installed it and it works fine for a user which is a member of
the administrators group.

When I create a new user which is only a member of users, it does not
work.

When I ssh into the machine using the users only user, I get the
following

Your group is currently "mkgroup".  This indicates that
the /etc/group (and possibly /etc/passwd) files should be rebuilt.
See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.

But /etc/group contains the correct group Users

If I add the user to the Administrators group I can log in without the
mkgroup warning, but ftp still does not work.

As well, the /etc directory appears different depending on who is logged
in.

The user which installed cygwin and proftpd and sshd, is not the
Administrator, but a user in the Administrators group.

On a different server where the Administrator did the install I get
better results. I can log in via ssh, but ftp fails, proftpd can not
chdir to the /home/user directory.

If I change the /etc/passwd entry for the user to /cygwin/home/user,
then I can use ftp, but this "trick" does not work on the machine where
I am user in the Administrator group and not the administrator itself.

Can someone suggest a course of action.

Clearly the interaction between windoze security and cygwin is tripping
me up.